Sunday, December 20, 2015

Review: Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

OVERALL: ~4.3 stars

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1) - 4 stars

Lissa, a vampire, and Rose, a Dhampir, are on the run. Now caught by the guardians and forced to go back to the academy they both have to face what they were running from. By sharing a bond rose is able to help Lissa and keep her safe but rose finds herself questioning if that would be enough.

I was caught up in the story from the moment I started reading. There was something about the suspense and danger of everything that pulled me in. I also loved Rose’s fiery character even though she did go overboard upon occasion. Lissa was a little too subdued and passive for me but I saw the reasons for her attitude. Dimitri was just wow; I would have liked to have him guarding me. Totally worth the read, it was a great story with excellent characters.

Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2) - 4 stars
The Strigoi are on the attack and this time they are not acting alone, they have had the unexpected help of humans and now nothing is safe, not even in the light. Rose has to face the realization of growing up and the full force of responsibility that comes with being a guardian, not only that but she also has to face her mom. With Dimitri still lingering in the picture Rose’s feelings stay torn.

Nice second installment and continuation with the story. I loved the introduction of Rose’s mom and the implication that ultimately brings to rose. In this book rose grows up a lot and has many self-realizations that make her see her life more clearly. I would have wished for more of Lissa and Christian in this book but they are in their own little world for the time being so it was understandable.

The one thing that bugged me was the huge amount of repetition and overlap from the first book involving what happened and certain aspects of the story. I get with having a time span in between readings but it was kind of annoying right after finishing the first one.

Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy #3) - 5 stars
The Strigoi attacks aren't the only thing complicating roses life, she also has to deal with the impeding trial of victor. As her feeling for Dimitri simmer on the surface rose has to learn how to cope with taking care of a guardian she can't feel, none other than Christian himself.

I liked this book even more than the last two. The relationships of the characters come together more and I loved all of the arguments. I was sad about mason but was surprised about how that turned out. As for rose and Dimitri, I just love them together and this book certainly did a good job of showing how much tension they had between them resulting from their feelings. I have to say I was completely thrown by the ending though and I can't wait to get started on the fourth book!

Blood Promise (Vampire Academy #4) - 5 stars
If Rose thought she had it bad in the past it was nothing like she had to face now. Now she is on a mission to kill the man she loves, a man that is no longer the same person but a cruel and soulless Strigoi. Having to leave Lissa behind is only one of the things that is breaking her heart.

I thought Rose changed a lot throughout this book. She knew what she had to do and how she had to keep her promise. Despite everything to grew into herself and even learned that she has to start trusting those around her. All of the plot developments in this book were purely delightful, some I was expecting or had previously anticipated but that didn't detract from the author’s delivery of them. I also wasn't surprised by the ending but can't wait to read how it turns out!

Spirit Bound (Vampire Academy #5) - 4 stars
After coming back from her heartbreaking trip through Siberia Rose can’t wait to move on with her life and with Lissa. But she failed in her mission and not Dimitri is the one that is hunting her.

This want one of my favorite books of the series but the overall storyline and plot progression was still good. I think in the story as a whole I didn't like how the characters interacted with each other in this one there was so much tension going on. My favorite person in this book had to be Adrian just because he was so understanding despite everything and I felt his character really shines through the others. I was overwhelmed with what happened and can't wait to jump into the last book to find out how things are going to play out!

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy #6) - 4 stars
With the queen dead and Rose the primary suspect things don't seem to be going their way. Before her trial comes up rose has to escape to be able to have the time to solve her own problem and to keep herself alive.

I feel that this was the perfect conclusion the the series. All of the struggles that Dimitri and Rose have between them come full force at them. Everyone bands together and people's true natures are able to surface. I am excited to read the next series and find out more about Sydney.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment