Thursday, August 17, 2023

Review: Haveli by Suzanne Fisher Staples

Haveli Haveli by Suzanne Fisher Staples
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In this powerful novel, we follow the courageous journey of Shabanu, a young Pakistani woman, as she confronts the oppressive grip of societal customs and ancient laws. At the age of 18 and a mother, Shabanu must navigate the complexities of her husband's household, constantly facing obstacles that threaten her position and autonomy. As she dreams of a better future for her daughter, she finds herself entangled in a forbidden love with Omar, defying the traditions that seek to separate them. Amidst the challenges and complexities, Shabanu's unwavering determination and love push her to defy societal expectations and fight for her own happiness.

I was so intrigued by the first book that despite not having to read it in middle school, like the first one, I wanted to continue on with the story. By the end, I liked the book a lot more than I had at the beginning.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment