Saturday, October 21, 2023

Review: The Wedding Party

The Wedding Party The Wedding Party by L.R. Jones
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Note: I received an advanced copy of this book from Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley.

Carrie and Oliver are the perfect couple, deeply in love and ready to host their dream wedding at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado. The celebration is set to be unforgettable, with family and friends coming together to share in their joy. However, the morning after the wedding, the festivities turn into a nightmare when murder strikes. Andi Castle, an FBI agent who was just attending as a plus-one, finds herself thrust into the role of investigator. As the hotel goes into lockdown and long-held secrets are exposed, Andi must race against time to uncover which secrets are worth killing for and prevent further deaths.

I'm giving this book a four-star rating, but I have to admit that I wasn't entirely pleased with the ending. The anticipation leading up to the resolution and the identity of the murderer left me with high expectations, and the ending fell a bit short for me. Nonetheless, I must credit the author for keeping me captivated throughout most of the book, especially with the detective, Andi.

Andi is a compelling character, and I appreciated the depth of her personality. Her struggles with commitment and her tenacity in pursuing the truth make her a great detective. Her unwavering trust in her instincts and refusal to take the easy way out were traits that added to her appeal. One aspect that occasionally grated on me was the repetition related to the stigma surrounding Andi's father. It came up frequently in interactions with other characters, and it started to become a bit annoying.

The setting, taking place in Denver, was intriguing. Even though I haven't personally visited the city, it's on my list of places to explore in the United States. The incorporation of "The Shining Hotel" was a fun touch, not necessarily crucial to the plot but still an enjoyable idea.

While the overall pacing of the book may be considered slow, the engaging writing style of the author kept me invested in the story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment