Saturday, October 14, 2023

Review: The Couple in the Photo

The Couple in the Photo The Couple in the Photo by Helen Cooper
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Note: I received an advanced copy of this book from PENGUIN GROUP Putnam via NetGalley.

Lucy and her husband, Adam, share a close friendship with another couple, Cora and Scott. These four friends are practically family, sharing vacations, co-owning a beach cottage, and watching their young children grow up together. However, Lucy's world is shattered when she comes across a photo of Scott on a luxurious trip with another woman, during a colleague's presentation on the Maldives.

Lucy is determined to shield her best friend, Cora, from the potential infidelity, but her concern deepens when she learns that the woman in the photograph has gone missing. This leads her to suspect Scott's involvement in the disappearance. As she embarks on a quest for answers, Lucy uncovers hidden truths about her friends and even her own husband, secrets that have the power to unravel the lives they've so carefully built.

Amid her investigation, Lucy begins to suspect that everyone around her holds knowledge about the missing woman, knowledge they are keeping hidden. The narrative raises questions about the consequences of unearthing the truth, and whether Lucy, the one seemingly in the dark, will pay a price for discovering the secrets that lie beneath the surface.

This book was an intriguing exploration of complex family dynamics and the way relationships can unravel under the weight of shocking revelations. I found myself questioning how I would react if I were in Lucy's shoes, faced with an overwhelming amount of information and difficult decisions. The author masterfully conveyed the initial closeness of the family, and it was fascinating to see how this bond slowly disintegrated as the story unfolded.

Scott was a character who left me on edge throughout the book. He exuded a sense of unpredictability and cagey behavior that kept me guessing about his true nature and what he might do next. In contrast, Cora seemed to have it together the most within the group. However, the character who intrigued me the most was Adam. His interactions with Lucy raised questions about the authenticity of their relationship right from the start, and I found myself constantly reevaluating their connection.

One aspect that had me wondering was why Lucy, (view spoiler)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment