Friday, October 13, 2023

Review: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

The Witch of Blackbird Pond The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Kit Tyler, an orphaned young girl, finds herself in a starkly different world upon arriving in the Connecticut Colony. The strict and austere Puritan community contrasts sharply with her vibrant Caribbean upbringing, leaving her feeling like a trapped bird. The only solace she finds is in the meadows, where she befriends the unconventional Quaker woman called the Witch of Blackbird Pond, and occasionally spends time with her sailor friend Nat. However, when Kit's association with the "witch" is exposed, she becomes the target of suspicion, fear, and accusations of witchcraft.

As an adult revisiting this book from my childhood, I found that it didn't quite live up to my memories. However, I still appreciated the engaging storyline and memorable characters that made it enjoyable when I first read it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment