Sunday, September 17, 2023

Review: The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas The Night Before Christmas by Alex Pine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Note: I received an advanced copy of this book from Avon Books UK via NetGalley.

In this chilling Christmas thriller set in the fells of Cumbria, the usual hunters become the hunted. On Christmas Eve, four trail hunters mysteriously vanish, prompting a frantic race against time to locate them before nightfall, when the plummeting temperatures could prove fatal. The search efforts yield a grim discovery: the first body is not merely frozen in the snow but brutally murdered, signaling that a sinister hunt has begun. As a snowstorm descends, the lives of three individuals hang precariously in the balance. The pressing question remains: can the killer be apprehended before the trail goes cold?

This marks the fourth installment in the series, I missed out on the third book but I have read all of the other ones. I didn't feel like I missed anything by not reading the third book though.

DCI Walker continues to shine as a compelling character, possessing the invaluable qualities of level-headedness and composure, especially in the face of crisis. These attributes contribute significantly to his appeal and the narrative's coherence.

The storyline wasted no time in grabbing my attention right from the outset, immersing me in the investigation surrounding the disappearance of these men. As the plot unfolds, a striking revelation emerges: all the missing individuals are fox hunters. This adds a compelling layer to the investigation, raising questions about whether they were specifically targeted. The narrative maintains a fluid momentum, navigating a path replete with twists, turns, and an abundance of potential suspects. While I had my suspicions, Alex Pine managed to outmaneuver me again, leaving me delightfully baffled by who the killer was.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment